US ARMY CENTRAL
SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA. Description: On a blue disc 2 1/4 inches (5.72 cm) in diameter a white letter “A” with members 1/8 inch (.32 cm) wide within a red circle 2 inches (5.08 cm) in diameter and 3/16 inch (.48 cm) in width.
Background: The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for Third Army on 20 December 1922. It was redesignated for Third United States Army on 10 November 1960. The insignia was redesignated for US Army Central on 29 August 2006.
DISTINCTIVE UNIT INSIGNIA. Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height overall consisting of a blue disc with a red border, the blue area bearing throughout a white capital letter “A” (as depicted on the authorized shoulder sleeve insignia for US Army Central) in front of in base a gold stylized fleur-de-lis, the center petal of the fleur-de-lis extending behind and above the cross bar of the letter “A” and behind and below the red border and the tops of the two outer petals extending under, downward and over the red border and terminating at and conjoined with the feet of the letter “A” and the lower ends extending behind and below the red border which bears at top five gold five-pointed stars and the inscription “TERTIA SEMPER PRIMA” in gold letters, the word “TERTIA” in base and between the outer petals of the fleur-de-lis and the stars, the word “SEMPER” on the left and the word “PRIMA” on the right.
Symbolism: The design is based on the authorized shoulder sleeve insignia of US Army Central (formerly United States Third Army). The fleur-de-lis in base alludes to the initial activation of the Headquarters, Third Army, at Ligny-en-Barrois, France, 15 November 1918. The five stars refer to the five campaigns Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe, World War II in which the Third United States Army participated. The motto reflects the Third Army’s constant readiness.
Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for Third United States Army on 10 October 1968. It was redesignated for US Army Central with the description updated and symbolism revised on 29 August 2006.